Priority Based Budgeting – Program Mapping Workshop (Ticket sales are now closed)
January 21, 2019 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM
The World Trade Centre Edmonton
#600, 9990 Jasper Avenue
Alberta T5J 1P7
Ticket sales are now closed
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, with Resource Exploration (ResourceX), invites you to join us for a completely unique experience in government stewardship...
"By understanding opportunities to leverage other service providers – in both the public and private sectors – Priority Based Budgeting (PBB) organizations are freeing up resources in their community to successfully fund a fantastic future!"
Organizations participating in a Program Mapping initiative come to identify the services they share in common with local governments, non-profits and private sector entities in their region. Service-sharing opportunities are then characterized in terms of partnership, merged/consolidated services, in-sourced regionally provided services, or out-sourced opportunities from the perspective of each participant. And finally, these opportunities are prioritized for action.
Who should attend this event?
- Local government officials.
- Companies and not-for-profits who either make use of or deliver government-funded services.
- Individuals who want to learn more about how governments can build their budgets differently.
What will I learn at this event?
- Government officials can learn about services offered by neighbouring municipalities and identify partnership opportunities, getting a head-start on intermunicipal collaboration.
- Companies and not-for-profits who work with local governments can identify opportunities to create new and enhance existing partnerships.
- Individuals can learn more about the Priority Based Budgeting process.
What should I bring?
- All attendees should bring a laptop or tablet to participate in the hands-on Program Mapping exercise. Mobile phones can be used but are not ideal for this purpose.
- Continental breakfast will be provided.
Chamber member: $15
Chamber member table of 8: $120
General admission: $25
General admission table of 8: $200
ResourceX was founded to grow the community of priority based budgeting by enabling organizations with the best possible tools and training. As the community grows, and more organizations adopt this best practice, all will benefit as resources are allocated to the greater good, and results are achieved.
About Chris Fabian
Chris Fabian is Founder and CEO of both the Center for Priority Based Budgeting and Resource Exploration. Priority based budgeting (PBB) is a leading best practice in local government and a powerful lever for change. ResourceX provides the software solution and powerful analytic tools to implement a priority based budget using data and evidence to transparently and exponentially improve results for citizens and the community. He combined both companies in 2017 under ResourceX, with staff members in Colorado, North Carolina, Texas, New Mexico, Michigan and Ohio. PBB is now practiced and applied by over 200 organizations across North America (including eight local governments in Alberta).
Chris’s journey into the world of Government Finance began in 2003, when his very first company, the Local Government Solutions Group, was a partner to David Osborne’s “Public Strategies Group” – Osborne, if the name is familiar was co-author of “Reinventing Government” and “The Price of Government.” In partnership with Public Strategies, Chris worked with some of the country’s first pioneers in “Budgeting for Outcomes” – the process that first attempted to propose an alternative to traditional line-item budgeting approach, emphasizing the “Outcomes” that the public gets for its money.
From 2005-2008, Chris’s work centered on creating the Priority Based Budgeting process while a local government practitioner. “PBB” is currently recognized as a leading practice by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA), the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) as well as the Alliance for Innovation.