Preparing your business for cannabis legalization
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce has consistently advocated lawmakers take a balanced approach between the significant economic opportunities of the legal cannabis industry and the risks, including workplace safety issues, that legalization will bring.
Here is some of the advocacy work that we have done on this issue:
- In November 2017, we developed a policy that advocated for a private retail model for cannabis in Alberta and submitted it to the Province.
Preparing Alberta for the Legalization of Cannabis
- On November 9, 2017 our President and CEO, Janet Riopel, published an opinion piece in the Edmonton Journal outlining why private retail is the right choice for cannabis.
- In November 2017, we participated in consultations with the City of Edmonton on what legalization will mean at the municipal level and for businesses in the city.
- In October 2017, we developed a joint submission with the Alberta, Calgary and Fort Saskatchewan Chambers of Commerce, submitted to the Alberta Cannabis Secretariat. Joint Submission on the Proposed Alberta Cannabis Framework
- In October 2017, we participated in provincial consultation sessions advocating for a private retail model for cannabis and a focus on workplace safety issues.
- We published articles in the April and October 2017 issues of Business in Edmonton that explored both workplace safety issues and the economic opportunities of legalization.
- In April 2017, we developed a policy on the workplace safety issues that will arise with legalization. Addressing the Impacts of Marijuana Legalization on Workplace Safety
- We notified members and encouraged them to participate in the public consultations held on legalization by the Province.
You can be assured that we will continue to keep you informed as legalization approaches. We will continue to work with all levels of government to ensure that any potential harmful impacts and costs from legalization are minimized and that the potential economic benefits are maximized.